3 Popular Rolex Air-King Watches That Worth Your Attention
March 5th, 2020
The Rolex Air-King is one of the oldest models, known for its classic aesthetic and robustness.
Introduced in 1945, the Air-King has been in production for nearly 70 years.
With one of the most complex histories, the watch is typically forgotten among more famous Rolex models like the Daytona or the Submariner.
However, the Air-King yet holds an exciting place, especially among vintage watch lovers or collectors out there.
While it is one of the brand’s longest-running models, Rolex has offered several classics during its time.
Some references are indeed outstanding examples of ultimate sophistication.
Thus, we will be today taking a closer look at three popular and desirable Rolex Air-King references that worth your attention.
The Rolex Air-King Reference 5500
Rolex introduced the fourth generation Air-King reference 5500 in 1957. The brand continued to produce this reference for virtually 37years.
- The watch featured a 34mm case, a stark dial design with simple stick hands and no date display.
- However, Rolex fitted the Air-King 5500 with two different movements – the Calibre 1530 and the Calibre 1520.
- Some Air-King watches with Calibre 1520 flaunt the term “Precision” engraved above the 6 o’clock position.
- On the contrary, iterations with the Calibre 1530 often have the word “Super Precision” in the same position.
However, Rolex first used the Calibre 1530 in the Air-King 5500 and later replaced it with the Calibre 1520 in 1963.
Both the movements feature flat hairsprings and stick regulators.
The significant difference between them is known to lie in the number of jewels utilised in every movement.
Moreover, the reference 5500 is not only the least expensive Air-king model but also one of the cheapest vintage Rolex watches of all time.
The Rolex Air-King Reference 14000
Rolex launched the reference 14000 in 1989, retaining its predecessor’s 34mm steel case and overall stark design.
However, the manufacturer offered a sapphire crystal and a new Calibre 3000 movement to this Air-King generation.
Interestingly, Calibre 3000 was the first movement that offered the contemporary balance frequency of 28,800vph.
The Rolex Air-King 14000 was offered with different dial and bezel options.
- Collectors could choose between white, black, salmon pink, and blue dial colours.
- And the bezel options included an engine-turned type or the traditional smooth polished version.
- However, the Calibre 3000 movement was not COSC-certified.
Rolex upgraded this reference in 2000, introducing the reference 14000M. Here the “M” stands for modified.
The brand fitted this updated version with the Calibre 3130.
Both the reference 14000 and the reference 14000M are more expensive in comparison to the reference 5500.
However, both the models are coveted among collectors in the pre-owned market.
The Rolex Air-King Reference 116900
Rolex introduced an eccentric version of the Air-King in the form of the reference 116900, leaving everyone in awe.
This latest Air-King version features similar antimagnetic properties and a 40mm steel case identical to the Rolex Milgauss 116400.
- Moreover, the watch is also powered by a similar Calibre 3131 movement with paramagnetic elements and Parachrom blue hairspring.
- Rolex offered the dial 3, 6 and 9-hour indexes like the Explorer.
- However, it added prominent white minute markers, making the dial highly legible.
The more significant fact is that this Air-King reference 116900 is known to be the first and only model that flaunts the title “Rolex” and the crown logo in two distinct colours.
Like the above two, the current reference 116900 is also a durable tool watch that will last a lifetime.
The fact is that the popularity of Rolex Air-King has today ideally increased more than it was ever. The Air-King can offer nearly unbeatable value, be it is a vintage model or a contemporary one.
If you are looking to sell a Rolex Air-King for cash, you are likely to receive a higher price from potential watch buyers in London or any other big cities.
Trusted watch buyers like at The Luxury Hut offer a quick, secure and straightforward way to sell Rolex watches for competitive prices.
You can sell your Rolex online or via appointment. Fill up this online form now and get your free initial quote.
Or call on 0207 242 5411 for an immediate valuation over the phone.